Aloha everybody! Today we are talking about one of my favorite places…Aulani, A Disney Resort and Spa. The perfect blend of island paradise with Disney touches! Plus, Aulani is offering a fantastic promotion right now to help you save money! We’ll talk about that at the end of the show!
Travel to Hawaii is opening up! Beginning September 1st, you need to get a COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to your trip and be able to show a negative result upon your arrival. I would recommend staying up to date on a site like hawaiitourismauthority.org (we will link in the show notes).
Today we are going to talk about on of my/Ryan’s favorite places to visit and plan with clients…Aulani, A Disney Resort and Spa. It is located on the island of Oahu about 30 minutes away from the Honolulu airport.
What is Aulani?
- A Disney owned resort in the community of Ko Olina which is on the western side of Oahu
- Part of the Disney Vacation Club but has regular hotel options as well
How Do I Get There?
- It’s a long flight (at least coming from the Midwest). Time difference.
- From HNL (rental car, private transfer, taxi). TRAFFIC!
- 30-40 minutes from HNL
- Pro-tip if driving…stop and get groceries/supplies/malasadas
- Once you arrive…welcome (water and lei) and lobby/view to Ocean!
What is Aulani Resort Like?
- Location of the resort adds to the relaxed feel
- Hotel rooms, studio rooms, 1 and 2 BR, and 3-BR Grand Villas
- Shops, restaurants, activities (how long can I stay here?)
- Two towers of rooms overlooking pools/resort areas
Activities at Aulani
- Relaxation and Activities balanced together
- It almost has a cruise feel to it…
- Each day you get a bracelet that gives you access to all of the pools and things
- Daily Ewa (character meetings, storytelling, ukulele lessons, walking tours, scavenger hunts, beach yoga, crafts, movie nights, ect)
- Auntie’s Beachouse (kids club)
- Pool Area
- Several large pools
- Water slides
- Grotto area with sound effects
- Rainbow reef
- Lazy river (21 minutes!)
- Kids splash area/play area
- Adult only pool
- Double-decker adult-only hot tub (overlooking beach and sunset)
- Beach Area
- Chairs/beach toys
- Beaches are public
- Series of lagoons (calm water)
- Rent equipment/boats/ect.
- Excursions Desk
- Ko Olina is a golf community
Dining At Aulani
- There is a variety but you will probably not eat at the resort all the time
- Makahiki Buffet (Breakfast and Dinner, Character buffet sometimes)
- Ama Ama (breakfast, lunch dinner, sunset)
- Ulu Café (QS with Dole Whips)
- Oleo Room
- Off the Hook
- Mama’s Snack Shop
- Papalua Shave Ice (with mickey ears!)
- Little Opihi’s Beachside Kiosk
- Luau at Aulani (VIP/Regular seating, pre-dinner activities, dinner, show)
Is there too much Disney/not enough Disney?
- I’ve heard mixed reviews on this
- This is NOT like going to the theme parks but Disney is all around (music, touches, characters, ect.
- If you don’t want it it is still an amazing resort. But, you will not be able to avoid it.
- If you are a Disney nut…it may not be enough
- The focus is on the Hawaiian culture (Joe Rhode, working with local area)
- Most importantly the Disney Service is there!!
- Refillable mug
- Book luau early in stay
- Do you need a rental car the whole time? Cost of parking, number of day trips
- Book an evening flight home and use the resort the last day
- Make your larger meal breakfast over dinner (time change/jet lag)
- Don’t be afraid to use Auntie’s Beach house
- Go swim with the turtles next door
Wow, we haven’t even talked much about the rest of the island of Oahu! There are so many amazing day trips from Aulani and the island is just amazing….We will need to have another episode on just day-tripping on Oahu…sound good?
Does this sound like a vacation for you this later summer and fall?
Contact Ryan to book your magical vacation today!
Please Help Us Keep the Show Going!
please support us by Subscribing to All Things Travel Show on your favorite app:
Please share it with some friends while you’re here.