Dreaming of a trip to Hawaii but don’t know where to start? We’re giving you a great place to start in this episode. Listen and enjoy Ryan’s tour of O‘ahu!
The Grand Tour of O’ahu
Overview of activities and areas on Oahu (don’t know specifics with COVID). https://www.gohawaii.com/
For Honolulu, Windward Coast, North Shore, Central O’ahu, Leeward Coast (listen to episode 3)
Starting at the bottom of the island and going counter-clockwise:
- Airport/Honolulu (the city). Rental Car at the airport? Watch traffic!
- Honolulu: Lots to see here (Ala Moana shopping center, Iolani Palace, Punchbowl National Cemetary, Bishop Museum)
- Waikiki Beach: Like being in a city, large beach area. Hustle and bustle
Windward Coast (The Coastal Route to Kailua)
- LOTS of picture-perfect spots
- Diamond Head. Somewhat strenuous but doable, Go EARLY (traffic and crowds)
- Hanauma Bay/Nature Preserve
- Halona Blowhole
- Beaches and pull-offs
- Sealife Park (Dolphin Adventures, wildlife shows, etc.)
- Kailua: A classic beach town, laid back
- Valley of the Temples: Cemetary with Byodo-In (replica of a 950 y/o Buddhist Temple in Japan
- Take H-3 back to Honolulu! (elevated and mountain tunnel)
- Surfing, Surfing, Surfing! (be careful compared to the Waikiki area). Population doubles in winter
- Kualoa Ranch & Private Nature Preserve
- Polynesian Cultural Center
- Northern Tip of Island (heading back down counterclockwise)
- Turtle Bay Resort
- Waimea Valley (botanical gardens, waterfalls)
- Waimea Bay/Beach (large)
- Ted’s Bakery (Chocolate Haupia pie)
- Lots of little beaches along here to stop, watch surfing
- Haleiwa Town (lots of shopping, Shrimp Trucks, Matsumoto Shave Ice has a large following
Back to Central O’ahu
- Dole Plantation: Pretty touristy but worth the stop?
- Aloha Stadium Swap Meet
- Farming areas/A pretty drive
- Pearl Harbor: Tickets to National Park Service 7 days in advance (check this!). $1 processing fee. Several museum sites, boat out to USS Arizona Memorial. ½ day? Real WWII Person…full day with added experiences.
- Again, go back and listen to episode 3 (in show notes)
- Kapolei (shopping). Leonard’s Bakery Truck. Home Depot Parking Lot. Malasadas!
- Ko’Olina (my favorite area. Aulani, resort community with manmade lagoons.
Planning a Trip to O’ahu
- How long should you stay?
- Find a balance of relaxation/visiting places! Take time to enjoy the foods, sights, sounds, and smells!
- Last tip: Oahu Revealed book
How high is O’ahu on your bucket list?
Please let us know in the All Things Travel Facebook group!
Contact Us to book your magical vacation today!
Save up to 30% on select rooms at Aulani Resort for stays of 5 consecutive nights—valid from January 4, 2021, through March 11, 2021. Book through March 7, 2021. Explore available savings:
• Save up to 30% on select rooms for stays of 5 consecutive nights
• Save up to 25% on select rooms for stays of 4 consecutive nights
• Save up to 20% on select rooms for stays of 3 consecutive nights* The link to the Oahu revealed book is an affiliate link. If you make purchases via this link we will receive a small commission from Amazon.
Please Help Us Keep the Show Going!
Please support us by Subscribing to All Things Travel Show on your favorite app:
Please share it with some friends while you’re here.